All applications to be submitted online
A foreign person who wishes to purchase a landed residential property is required to seek approval under the Residential Property Act. A foreign person means any person who is not a –
- Singapore citizen;
- Singapore company;
- Singapore limited liability partnership; or
- Singapore society.
Each applicant is assessed on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration, including but not limited to, the following factors:
(a) You should be a permanent resident of Singapore for at least
five years; and
(b) You must make exceptional economic contribution to Singapore. This is assessed taking into consideration factors such as your employment income assessable for tax in Singapore.
The ownership restrictions are provided in the Residential Property Act.
You can apply online at www.sla.gov.sg/ldau.
For more information on foreign ownership of residential properties, please refer to the FAQs.
You can also send us an email or contact us at:
Land Dealings Approval Unit
Singapore Land Authority
55 Newton Road
#12-01 Revenue House
What types of property must a foreign person seek approval under the Residential Property Act to purchase?
- Vacant residential land;
- Terrace house;
- Semi-detached house;
- Bungalow/detached house;
- Strata landed house which is not within an approved condominium development under the Planning Act (eg. townhouse or cluster house);
- Shophouse (for non-commercial use);
- Association premises;
- Place of worship; and
- Worker’s dormitory/serviced apartments/boarding house (not registered under the provisions of the Hotels Act).
What types of property can a foreign person purchase without approval under the Residential Property Act?
- Condominium unit;
- Flat unit;
- Strata landed house in an approved condominium development;
- A leasehold estate in a landed residential property for a term not exceeding 7 years, including any further term which may be granted by way of an option for renewal;
- Shophouse (for commercial use);
- Industrial and commercial properties;
- Hotel (registered under the provisions of the Hotels Act); and
- Executive condominium unit, HDB flat and HDB shophouse. (For this category, you may wish to find out more information on HDB eligibility guidelines at www.hdb.gov.sg or email HDB at email@example.com.)